GNWT - UNW Collective Bargaining 2011
What is the collective agreement?
The collective agreement applies to all our public service employees. It is the guiding document that outlines the terms of employment and contains guidance for managers and employees on a range of issues. The collective agreement includes rates of pay, how leave is earned and used as well as how disputes are resolved.
What are the timelines?
The bargaining process began on December 19, 2011, and will continue until an agreement is reached or negotiations break down. See Bargaining Overview for further details on the process.
Why is it important?
We are working towards a new collective agreement that supports the Legislative Assembly’s vision and goals identified under Believing in People and Building on the Strengths of Northerners, and we realize the important role our employees play in achieving the government’s priorities. That’s why we are looking forward to working with the UNW to find effective and sustainable ways to invest in our public service workers, while at the same time remaining fiscally responsible.
What does the GNWT currently offer?
The GNWT is pleased to offer a range of advantages and opportunities to its employees.
- Great benefits, including a public service pension:
- Leave entitlements – including leave with pay during the holiday season
- Employee and Family Assistance Program that supports employees facing challenges either at work or personally/at home
- Public service health care plan
- Dental benefits
- Supplementary death benefit
- Disability insurance
- Working for the GNWT also provides:
- The opportunity to make a difference and, because of the relatively small size of our government, the opportunity to see how this positively impacts clients and stakeholders
- The ability to acquire a diverse set of skills, given the broad scope and issues staff become involved in
- A family-friendly work environment
- Good opportunities for work-life balance:
- Flex time opportunities
- Short commute to work
- Time off to go hunting, participate in traditional activities
- Opportunities for career growth, development and advancement
- The chance to work in beautiful pristine locations and experience richness of different cultures and traditions