0103 - Selection Committees
- Each competition requires a Selection Committee that will apply the relevant policies and guidelines to determine the most suitable candidate.
- Human Resources Representative means those employees of the Department of Finance - Human Resources Branch designated to co-ordinate the recruitment process.
- Selection Committee includes, but is not necessarily restricted to, a Human Resources Representative and the Supervisor of the position being filled. Where appropriate, a member with technical expertise or community representative may be added to the Selection Committee, either as a full participant or in an advisory capacity with no vote in the final hiring decision.
- Screening Criteria are prerequisite experience and education that candidates shall possess before consideration can be given for an interview.
- Depending on the level of the position, the recommended maximum size of the Selection Committee is three people.
- Members of the Selection Committee are expected to participate in all aspects of the screening, interview and assignment components of the competition in order to maintain consistency.
- The Selection Committee shall include a Human Resources Representative and a Supervisor adequately familiar with the position being filled. If the Supervisor of the position being filled is unable to participate in the Selection Committee, another Supervisor may participate in the Selection Committee.
- Where appropriate, the Selection Committee can include, in addition to the Human Resources Representative and a Supervisor, either as a full participant or in an advisory capacity with no vote in the final hiring decision:
- a member with technical expertise related to the duties of the position; or
- a community representative.
- Where a Committee member must remove himself/herself from the competition and it is necessary to replace that member, a substitute may be used for interviews as long as he/she reviews and concurs with the competition file prior to participating and signs off on all components of the file.
- The Selection Committee will:
- develop/ approve the screening criteria;
- approve the advertisement;
- develop/ approve interview questions, assignments and anticipated responses;
- review all applications to determine whether they meet the screening criteria;
- apply Affirmative Action priority;
- interview, rate and rank the candidates;
- assess information obtained in the references;
- prepare information obtained from criminal record checks for assessment; and
- attend a staffing appeal hearing if requested.
- All Selection Committee members should become familiar with the GNWT hiring process, guidelines and procedures.
- Selection Committee members should excuse themselves from participating as part of the Selection Committee if they are not able to participate for the duration of the hiring process.
- Selection Committee members who find themselves in a potential conflict of interest situation due to a relationship with the candidate, are required to discuss this with the other Selection Committee members and, if necessary, withdraw from the competition.
- The Human Resources Representative assembles the Selection Committee.
- The Human Resources Representative provides Selection Committee members with an expected timeline for the competition process so that competition activities can be co-ordinated.
- The Human Resources Representative provides Selection Committee members with information on GNWT Staffing Practices and Procedures, emphasizing the importance of maintaining confidentiality.
Public Service Act
Section 17, Appointments by competition