0114 - Conducting Additional Pre-Employment Checks
- Periodically, additional pre-employment checks are necessary to ensure that critical job requirements are met. The following are examples of pre-employment checks that may be performed:
- Review of driver's abstract;
- Medical clearance;
- Confirmation of educational requirements;
- Confirmation of professional society membership; or
- Confirmation of professional association membership.
- Human Resources Representative means those employees of the Department of Human Resources designated to co-ordinate the recruitment process.
- Selection Committee includes, but is not necessarily restricted to, a Human Resources Representative and the Supervisor of the position being filled. Where appropriate, a member with technical expertise or community representative may be added to the Selection Committee, either as a full participant or in an advisory capacity with no vote in the final hiring decision.
- Competition File is the official record of the competition containing all documents required by policies and guidelines.
- Personnel File is the official record containing personal information, on each employee, held by the Department of Human Resources (DHR).
- Bona Fide Occupational Requirements are the essential duties of a job. For example, Highway Patrol Officers are required to drive vehicles or Slavey Interpreters are required to interpret Slavey.
- Pre-employment checks shall only be administered for those candidates receiving consideration for a job offer and are typically conducted after the results of the reference checks are known.
- Details of all pre-employment checks shall be kept strictly confidential.
- A job offer shall not be made for a position requiring a pre-employment check until the results of a check are confirmed.
- Pre-employment checks shall only be conducted for the performance of a bona fide occupational requirement as specified in the approved job description and job advertisement.
- Where possible, the Human Resources Representative shall request a certified copy of all official documentation required of the check.
- When applicable, the Department shall indicate their intent to forward a copy of the candidate's driver's abstract to:
Department of Finance
Government of the NWT
PO Box 1320
Yellowknife NT X1A 2L9
Such intent shall be communicated as an additional clause in the appointee's job offer.
- The Human Resources Representative reviews the competition file to determine the nature of the pre-employment check.
- Upon completion of reference checks, the Human Resources Representative contacts the candidate to request a certified copy of all pre-employment documents. The documents may be copied and returned to the candidate.
- All records of pre-employment checks are placed in the appointee's personnel file.
Canadian Charter of Rights of Freedoms
UNW Collective Agreement
Public Service Act