0119 - Casual Recruiting
- These guidelines and procedures apply to all departments, boards and agencies.
- Casual employees are hired for a specific period of employment to do work of a temporary nature.
- Affirmative Action Priorities apply to the selection of casual employees. In the case of as and when casual, affirmative action priorities would be applicable at the time of initial hire.
- Between May 1 and August 31, students will be given a higher priority than non-students registered in the same Affirmative Action category.
- Applicants seeking casual employment should register with individual departments.
- The Employer is required to consult with the UNW before a former casual employee is rehired in a particular division if that former casual employee had worked in that division as a casual employee performing the same duties at any time within the 30 working days immediately preceding the date of rehire.
- There will be no systematic release and rehire of casuals into the same positions primarily as a means of avoiding the creation of indeterminate employment or paying wages and benefits associated with indeterminate employment.
Collective Agreement with the UNW
Appendix A5 - Casual Employees