0123 - NWTTA Teacher Recruitment
- Teachers, Language Specialists, Teacher Consultants, Assistant Principals and Principals are considered members of the Public Service.
- The Minister responsible for the Public Service Act has the exclusive right and authority to appoint persons to positions in the Public Service. Appointments to positions in the Public Service will be based on merit, and selection decisions will be fair, transparent, and equitable and will comply with all relevant policies and guidelines. This contributes to a Public Service that is competent and representative of the people it serves.
- The Minister responsible for the Public Service Act delegates staffing authorities to Deputy Heads to the maximum extent possible to assist them to meet their operational objectives and to respond efficiently and effectively to increasing and changing demands.
- Section 123 of the Human Resource Manual (HRM) provides Superintendents, Principals and Human Resource Services Officers with procedures to ensure that appointments are made in a manner consistent with the Public Service Act and the goals of the Government of the Northwest Territories (GNWT). Each section follows a standard format and includes any related staffing support information such as examples, administrative procedures and forms where these exist.
- Recruitment and selection practices will also be carried out in a manner that is consistent with other territorial and federal legislation including the Financial Administration Act, the Official Languages Act, the NWT Human Rights Act, NWT Education Act, and the agreement between the Public Service and the NWT Teachers’ Association.
- The Department of Finance shall provide clarification and interpretation of the Staffing Guidelines, including Section 123 of the HRM. Rulings and advice concerning the NWTTA Recruitment will be documented and communicated to Superintendents and Human Resource staff on a regular basis and are intended as standards for future practice.
- This policy and applicable guidelines apply to the staffing of all Public Service positions within the NWT Teachers’ Association bargaining unit.
- Northwest Territories Teachers Association (NWTTA) is the bargaining agent for all teachers in the NWT. When an individual accepts a teaching position with one of the Northwest Territories (NWT) Divisional Education Councils (DECs) they become a member of the NWTTA.
- Management and Recruitment Services is a division of the Department of Finance.
- Section 123 of the HRM has been designed as an electronic reference that enhances ease of access and maintenance.
- Specific NWTTA Recruitment Guidelines under Section 123 of the HRM have been developed to reflect unique requirements in NWTTA staffing.
- The Staffing Guidelines, including Section 123 of the HRM, and all applicable examples, administrative procedures and forms shall be maintained by Management and Recruitment Services. Questions regarding the application or interpretation of these guidelines may be directed to:
Director, Management and Recruitment Services
Department of Finance
Government of the Northwest Territories
Yellowknife NT X1A 2L9
Phone: (867) 767-9154
Fax: (867) 873-0235
Public Service Act
Financial Administration Act
Northwest Territories Teachers’ Association Collective Agreement