1202 - Commuting Allowance
- These guidelines and procedures apply to all employees who are members of the Union of Northern Workers except those who are employed by the NWT Power Corporation.
- Employees must apply for this allowance.
- To be eligible, the employee's workplace must be outside of an 8 km (5 mile) radius of a settlement centre and there must be no public or Employer transportation available to the place of work.
- The employee will be paid the distance rate specified in Article 45.11(a)(i) of the Union of Northern Workers Collective Agreement, if he/she is required to use his/her personal motor vehicle. This is the private car kilometre rate authorized for the Employer’s convenience outlined in the GNWT duty travel rates.
- Commuting allowance travel (kilometres) is based on travel from the community centre to the workplace and the workplace to the community centre – one return trip per day.
- The employee must reapply annually for the allowance.
- The commuting allowance is not paid retroactively.
- The employee sends a written request, using the Commuting Allowance Application/Renewal form, for the allowance to his/her supervisor.
- The supervisor may consult with the Department of Human Resources to determine if the employee qualifies for the allowance and advises the employee in writing.
- If the employee qualifies, they are required to enter the commuting allowance on their timesheet.
- When an employee is no longer eligible for the commuting allowance as his/her workplace is within an 8 km driving distance of a settlement centre (e.g., moved residences, transferred/promoted to another position), the employee must advise their Supervisor in writing.
UNW Collective Agreement
Article 28, Commuting Allowances